To learn about current employment opportunities with Pottawattamie County, including Pottawattamie Conservation, please visit the Pottawattamie County website. Open positions are posted throughout the year.
We are actively seeking:
Responsible for providing administrative support services and assistance to the Office Coordinator in order to ensure the efficient operation of the Pottawattamie County Conservation Board.
Inactive Job Postings:
Please note: the below positions are no longer active; however, please feel free to review as they are seasonal positions that become active annually.
HawkWatch Counter, Compiler, and Interpreter | 38 Hours Per Week | September to December
This position is responsible for identifying and counting migrating raptors, preparing reports, and assisting with bird-related environmental education at Hitchcock Nature Center, in Honey Creek, Iowa.
Green Iowa AmeriCorps Members | Full-Time | May to August
We are currently looking to hire two AmeriCorps members to join us for three months between May 22nd and August 22nd and create educational opportunities surrounding the environment, sustainability, energy, and more for community members of all ages. Apply today by selecting "Honey Creek - Pottawattamie Conservation" as the Host Site in your application.
Environmental Education Intern | Full-time | May to August
Environmental Education Interns are responsible for working with the Environmental Education department to develop and present of all aspects of the interpretive program including, but not limited to, summer camps, general public programs, school programs, and special events under the supervision of the Environmental Education Coordinator and Naturalists.
Park Ranger Internships | Full-time | May to September
An individual in this position is responsible for assisting Park Rangers with the management of assigned County parks and/or properties in accordance with Conservation Board policies, state laws, and standard conservation practices. Duties include but are not limited to; supervision of other seasonal staff and volunteers, collection of fees, public safety, public relations, planning of events, light construction, park maintenance, environmental education, and other duties as required. Job duties require a considerable amount of physical activity, including walking, standing, kneeling, crouching, reaching, stooping, and climbing.
Park Ranger Intern | Arrowhead Park | Neola, IA
- Arrowhead Park (147 acres) features include: a 17-acre fishing lake, hiking trails, modern and camping cabins, RV and tent camping, shower house, horseback riding, paddleboat and canoe rental, shelter rentals, playground, lodge
Park Ranger Intern | Botna Bend Park & Old Town Park | Hancock, IA & Macedonia, IA
- Botna Bend Park (119 acres) features include: bison and elk herds, West Nishnabotna Water Trail river access, boat ramp, RV and tent camping, shower house, hiking trails, archery range, disc gof, Rubber Duck Outfitters, playground, lodge
- Old Town Park (9.5 acres) features include: West Nishnabotna Water Trail river access, boat ramp, RV and tent camping, Rubber Duck Outfitters, playground
- This position will also provide park ranger support at Pottawattamie Conservation habitat areas Farm Creek Public Wildlife Area (320 acres) and Wheeler Grove Conservation Area (247 acres).
Park Ranger Intern | Hitchcock Nature Center & Narrows River Park | Honey Creek, IA & Council Bluffs, IA
- Hitchcock Nature Center (1,300 acres) features include: stunning vistas of southwestern Iowa's Loess Hills, more than 10 miles of hiking trails, an observation deck and 50-ft tower, Loess Hills Lodge gallery and facility rentals, camping cabins, RV and tent camping, backcountry camping, archery range, playground
- Narrows River Park (36 acres) features include: Missouri River access, boat ramp, shelter rentals, archery range, native garden, seasonal hiking trails, playground
Season Park Aides | Arrowhead, Botna Bend, and Narrows River Park | May to August
An individual in this position is responsible for assisting Park Rangers with the maintenance of assigned County parks in accordance with Conservation Board policies, state laws, and standard conservation practices.
Seasonal Park Aide | Arrowhead Park | Neola, IA
Seasonal Park Aide | Narrows River Park
Seasonal Park Aide | Botna Bend Park & Old Town Park | Hancock, IA & Macedonia, IA
Essential functions include:
- Assist Park Ranger with the management of county parks including maintenance and public relations.
- Register campers, collect user, camper and other miscellaneous fees and provide receipts of payment.
- Prepare and collect fees for shelter rentals.
- Perform routine ground maintenance in parks and assigned properties including, but not limited to mowing, trimming, pruning, and trash removal.
- Perform road and trail maintenance duties such as blading and filing holes.
- Perform routine building maintenance and clean and stock supplies in park facilities such as restrooms, shower houses, and shelters.
- Perform other functions as directed or as the situation dictates.