Saturday, November 4, 2023
11:00am to 2:00pm Add to Calendar
Botna Bend Park
42926 Mahogany Road
Hancock, Iowa 51536
Free with $3/vehicle park entry or membership
Thank you to our event sponsor, Golden Hills RC&D!
In honor of National Bison Day, come visit our bison herd out at Botna Bend Park and learn more about this magnificent species and the conservation efforts that help protect them.
Swing by between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. for fun, family-friendly activities, including:
- Botna Bend’s live bison herd
- Atlatl throwing
- Bison wool spinning
- Hay rack rides
- Bison artifacts
- Live music with Ron Cisar
- History of bison and the railroad with the UP Museum
- Learn about the symbiotic relationship between bison and the prairie with the Nature Conservancy
- Video presentations on the Joy Creek Major archaeological site & Coralville Lake's Devonian Fossil Gorge
- Learn about Winter Counts and Native American cultural history with Valery Killscrow Copeland
- Valery is an enrolled member of the Oglala Sioux Tribe, a Lakota artist, a Nebraska real estate agent, and a home builder. She has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Nebraska at Omaha and graduated Magna Cum Laude in Studio Arts in 2002 with a concentration in graphic design. She was also in the Phi Theta Kappa National Honors Society and has a minor in Native American Studies from UNO. Valery received the Josephine Bail Scholarship and a Certificate of Excellence in Multicultural Affairs from UNO. She also has an associate degree from Metropolitan Community College in Professional Studies (1997) and graduated as part of the Gold Key National Honors Society. Valery won a Nebraska graphic design award in 1997 and a Great Plains Art Museum Exhibition Award for her sculptural piece in 2012.
This event is free with a $3 park entry fee or an annual permit and will be held RAIN or SHINE. We'll see you there!
The Pottawattamie Conservation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or other legally protected status in its employment, programs or activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Human Resource Director 227 South 6th Street, Council Bluffs, IA 51501.