For those seeking an adventure and a truly unique camping experience, Hitchcock also offers seven primitive backcountry campsites located deep within the park. We ask that backcountry campers camp with integrity & enjoy the outdoors responsibly by employing Leave No Trace ethics and principles.
- Single tent campsite with camping pad and fire ring
- Easy terrain hike, approximately 0.75-mile from the main parking area at the Loess Hills Lodge
- Classic oak savanna ridgetop and nearby views of the Missouri River Valley
- Adjacent to the main trail
PLEASE NOTE - Backcountry campsites are PRIMITIVE & do not include access to modern amenities including drinking water or restrooms. Campers are responsible for carrying in and carrying out their own supplies including drinking water & the disposal of all human waste. Please bury human waste away from the established campsite and no less than 200-yds from water. ALL TRASH MUST BE CARRIED OUT WHEN YOU VACATE THE CAMPSITE.
Backcountry Campsite #2 - Fox Run Ridge is located in the northwest section of the park off of Fox Run Ridge trail. It is located in and accessible via easy terrain and is approximately 0.75-mile from the Fox Run Ridge Trailhead in the main parking lot near the Loess Hills Lodge.
- Keg beer is not permitted
- Wheeled vehicles are not permitted, this includes wheeled coolers, bicycles, wagons, & wheeled luggage
- Please, only place tents on designated tent pads
- Hammocks are only allowed to be hung at the designated hammock campsites (Backcountry Campsite #6, Shea Way and Backcountry Campsite #7, Heritage)
- Campers are permitted to harvest dead fall wood from the ground for burning but may not cut down or damage live trees
- Please help us limit the spread of pests and DO NOT TRANSPORT FIREWOOD ACROSS STATE OR COUNTY LINES
Refunds will be permitted via the refund policy in the Facility Contract
Backcountry camping is $10.00 per tent/hammock per night
- 4% processing fees applied to all credit card reservations
- All campsites must be reserved online; walk-up reservations are no longer available at the park
- All camping is first reserved, first served
- Maximum stay is 14 days
- Campsites are considered occupied when an online reservation has been submitted and the camping fee paid
- Paid camping registration includes admission to the park for one vehicle. Additional guests, their vehicles and their license plates, that will be arriving separately and staying overnight must be noted in the vehicle info fields during the checkout process. Additional guests will need to purchase a $5.00 per vehicle daily entrance pass at the front gate or have a valid Pottawattamie County Parks annual permit