For those seeking an adventure and a truly unique camping experience, Hitchcock also offers seven primitive backcountry campsites located deep within the park. We ask that backcountry campers camp with integrity & enjoy the outdoors responsibly by employing Leave No Trace ethics and principles.
- Three-hammock campsite with central anchor hammock post and fire ring; a single tent is welcome but there is no camping pad available at this location
- Moderate terrain hike, located approximately 0.65-mile from the main parking lot at the Loess Hills Lodge
- Loess Hills woodlands setting
- Adjacent to main trail
Backcountry Campsite #7 - Heritage is located north of the Loess Hills Lodge off of Heritage Trail where it meets with Legacy Loop. This site is located in easy to moderate level terrain approximately 1 mile from the main parking lot at the Loess Hills Lodge using the Fox Run Ridge Trail Head & traveling by way of The Chute & Heritage trails.
- Keg beer is not permitted
- Wheeled vehicles are not permitted, this includes wheeled coolers, bicycles, wagons, & wheeled luggage
- Please, only place tents on designated tent pads
- Hammocks are only allowed to be hung at the designated hammock campsites (Backcountry Campsite #6, Shea Way and Backcountry Campsite #7, Heritage)
- Campers are permitted to harvest dead fall wood from the ground for burning but may not cut down or damage live trees
- Please help us limit the spread of pests and DO NOT TRANSPORT FIREWOOD ACROSS STATE OR COUNTY LINES
- There is no swimming, fishing or water harvesting permitted in Hohneke Pond
All date changes must be made by calling the Park Office at (712) 328-5833. Recognize that we must first administratively cancel your existing online reservation, and then create a second reservation for the new date. An Administrative Fee of $25 will be assessed to complete this transaction. Please consider this procedure prior to making your initial reservation. (NOTE: Date changes will not be allowed within two weeks of the scheduled reservation)
Please understand at the time of booking your reservation that you immediately prohibit other people from reserving and utilizing that facility - they therefore go elsewhere to locate a facility for that date. We will observe a NON-REFUNDABLE RESERVATION FEE policy with the following exceptions:
- Accident, serious injury or death of an immediate family member
- Travel conditionswhere a substantial risk is required in order to travel such as a winter storm where a travel advisory has been issued
- We are unable to provide your facility (or like facility) in operable condition for the date of your event
ALL cancellations or requests for refunds cannot be done online and must be made by calling the Park Office at (712) 328-5833.
Backcountry camping is $7.50 per tent/hammock per night.
- All campsites must be reserved online; walk-up reservations are no longer available at the park
- All camping is first reserved, first served
- Maximum stay is 14 days
- Campsites are considered occupied when an online reservation has been submitted and the camping fee paid
- Paid camping registration includes admission to the park for one vehicle. Additional guests, their vehicles and their license plates, that will be arriving separately and staying overnight must be noted in the "Event Info" field during the My County Parks checkout process. Additional guests will need to purchase a $5.00 per vehicle daily entrance pass at the front gate or have a valid Pottawattamie County Parks annual permit