Hitchcock Modern Group Tent Campsite
Hitchcock Nature Center
27792 Ski Hill Loop
Honey Creek, Iowa 51542
Reservations must be made 2 days in advance.
Starting at $50.00
For those seeking an adventure and a truly unique camping experience, Hitchcock also offers seven primitive backcountry campsites located deep within the park. We ask that backcountry campers camp with integrity & enjoy the outdoors responsibly by employing Leave No Trace ethics and principles.
About Modern Group Tent Campsite:
- Easy terrain access with nearby parking, located just below the RV campground.
- Loess Hills woodland setting
- Adjacent paved roadway
- Easy trail access to Oak Avenue
About Backcountry Camping:
- Backcountry campsites are primitive and do not include access to modern amenities including drinking water or restrooms.
- Campers are responsible for physically carrying in and carrying out their own supplies including drinking water.
- Campers are responsible for the disposal of all human waste. Please bury human waste away from the established campsite and no less than 200 yards from water.
- ALL TRASH MUST BE CARRIED OUT WHEN YOU VACATE THE CAMPSITE. Thank you!
The Modern Group Campsite is located on the lower loop road (Tent Road) just south of the RV campground in the northern portions of the park. It is located and accessible via paved roads with nearby access to parking, pit and flush toilets, and a shower house.
- Keg beer is not permitted
- Hammocks are only allowed to be hung at the designated hammock campsites (Backcountry Campsite #6, Shea Way and Backcountry Campsite #7, Heritage)
- Campers are permitted to harvest dead fall wood from the ground for burning but may not cut down or damage live trees
- Please help us limit the spread of pests and do not transport firewood across state or county lines.
All date changes must be made by calling the Park Office at 712-328-5833. Recognize that we must first administratively cancel your existing online reservation, and then create a second reservation for the new date. An Administrative Fee of $25 will be assessed to complete this transaction. Please consider this procedure prior to making your initial reservation.
Please note that date changes will not be allowed within two weeks of the scheduled reservation.
Please note that processing fees are non-refundable. ALL cancellations or requests for refunds cannot be done online and must be made by calling the Park Office at 712-328-5833.
Cancellation refunds will be paid based on the following schedule:
- 30 days or more notice.....................................100% refund
- 29-15 days notice............................................50% refund
- 14 days or less notice......................................No refund
Pottawattamie Conservation observes a NON-REFUNDABLE reservation policy for cancellations that occur within 14 days of the rental date with the following exceptions:
- Accident, serious injury, or death of an immediate family member
- Travel conditions where a substantial risk is required in order to travel such as a winter storm where a travel advisory has been issued
- We are unable to provide your facility (or like facility) in operable condition for the date of your event
- Modern Group Campsite reservations cost $50.00 per night + 4% nonrefundable processing fee.
- Walk-up and same-day registrations:
- Cost $10.00 per tent per night
- Must be made in-person at the park
- May be subject to a two-day maximum, depending on site reservations
- Barring reservations, the Modern Group Campsite may serve multiple walk-up groups at one time
- The Modern Group Campsite will accommodate up to six (6) tents at any one time
- Maximum stay is 14 days
- Campsites are considered reserved for a specific date when an online reservation has been submitted and the camping fee paid
- Paid online reservations include admission to the park for all associated overnight vehicles
- Walk-up/same-day registrations include admission to the park for one vehicle.
- Additional guests will need to purchase a $5.00 per vehicle daily entrance pass at the front gate or have a valid Pottawattamie County Parks annual permit.